Bkav Security – a member of Bkav Corporation has released its research on the security of free WiFi in Vietnam. The result shows that free WiFi in all cities is not secure.
The research was carried out from August to November 2014 in all cities covering free WiFi in Vietnam as Da Nang, Haiphong, Hoi An, Ha Long… Accordingly, the credentials of users such as accounts, passwords, credit card information can be stolen… when using free WiFi in these cities. Bkav experts also found that users would face three main types of attack as Man-in-the-middle, Phishing and SSID Spoofing.
Mr. Do Dac Khanh, Senior researcher of Bkav, states: “These risks originate from the fact that free WiFi system is limited to security control measures to meet the convenience, easy usage and particularly frequent change of users. Therefore, users should not use personal information log-in services such as signing in emails, social networks, performing online transactions… when connecting to free WiFi.”
To overcome this situation, in case of accessing important services, users should access via virtual private networks (VPN) to create secure information exchange channel. Experts also recommend users install antivirus software and turn on regular firewall to be protected comprehensively.
Full research is available here.
- Viet Nam cyber security overview in 2017 and predictions for 2018
- New variant of Mirai malware targeting IoT devices in Vietnam
- More than 5,000 Linux system in Vietnam affected by serious flaw Dirty COW
- Malware attacking Vietnam Airlines appears in many other agencies
- Warning on malware hijacking smartphones in fake Pokémon GO
- Luật ATTT mạng số 86/2015/QH13 ra đời năm 2015
- Nghị định 85/2016/NĐ-CP
- Chỉ thị 14/CT-TTg năm 2018
- CT 14/2019, BTTT-CATTT
- Công văn số 2973/BTTTT-CATTT năm 2019 Hướng dẫn triển khai hoạt động giám sát an toàn thông tin trong cơ quan, tổ chức nhà nước hướng dẫn CQNN
- Công văn số 235/CATTT-ATHTTT năm 2020 hướng dẫn mô hình bảo đảm an toàn thông tin cấp Bộ, Tỉnh.