In mid-October, a 9-year-old serious flaw on the kernel of Linux operating system was discovered. Named Dirty COW, the flaw affects all Linux system from version 2.6.22. According to Bkav, Vietnam now has 5,058 affected systems including important services such as FTP Server and Webserver.
Dirty COW is cataloged a privilege escalation vulnerabilitiy. Exploiting successfully Dirty COW, a hacker with an user account (limited right) can escalate to admin on the system. There are two reasons that make the vulnerability the most serious privilege escalation ever. First, it's not hard to develop exploits that work reliably. For another, the flaw is located in a section of the Linux kernel that's a part of virtually every distribution of the open-source OS released for almost a decade. Bkav has recorded many sources publishing COW Dirty exploit.
Mr. Bui Tien Dung – Bkav System Security expert said: "In the actual attacks, Dirty COW can be combined with several common errors such as SQL injection, Buffer Overflow... to take full control of the victim system with the highest authority (root, system ...)".
Bkav provides testing tool combined patch update at link: https://www.tools.whitehat.vn/dirtyCow.zip
Users and system administrators should download the tool and run the command [python DirtyCOW] to fix the problem as soon as possible. The tool will automatically check whether the system has vulnerabilities or not and patch it (system required Python installation).
- Viet Nam cyber security overview in 2017 and predictions for 2018
- New variant of Mirai malware targeting IoT devices in Vietnam
- More than 5,000 Linux system in Vietnam affected by serious flaw Dirty COW
- Malware attacking Vietnam Airlines appears in many other agencies
- Warning on malware hijacking smartphones in fake Pokémon GO
- Luật ATTT mạng số 86/2015/QH13 ra đời năm 2015
- Nghị định 85/2016/NĐ-CP
- Chỉ thị 14/CT-TTg năm 2018
- CT 14/2019, BTTT-CATTT
- Công văn số 2973/BTTTT-CATTT năm 2019 Hướng dẫn triển khai hoạt động giám sát an toàn thông tin trong cơ quan, tổ chức nhà nước hướng dẫn CQNN
- Công văn số 235/CATTT-ATHTTT năm 2020 hướng dẫn mô hình bảo đảm an toàn thông tin cấp Bộ, Tỉnh.